Wonderful World

1978~2008

© Don Schumann Photography


What a wonderful, wonderful world this would be
What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful world

James Taylor, Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel
Wonderful World





Every time I get a thrilled sensation feeling of euphoric listening to it, since it appeared in its second version of "Watermark" album in January 1978.




It never fails to
remind me the bitter sweet of teen years
and also
reflect the rise and fall of my middle ages.

Most importantly,
love is the key to a wonderful world.


 





Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took
(But I do know)
But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me, too
What a wonderful, wonderful world this would be







The original idea was for Art Garfunkel to record an album of songs written by Jimmy Webb. But when the leadoff single, "Crying in My Sleep," failed to make the charts, Columbia Records withdrew the album and induced Garfunkel to put together a cover of Sam Cooke's "(What A) Wonderful World" with Paul Simon and James Taylor harmonizing. The single and a revised version of the album then made the Top 40. But it's still a Garfunkel-Sings-Webb album, except for one song. And the initial idea was a good one: Garfunkel handles Webb's wistful pop songs well, and he has made good choices from Webb's songbook, dating back to the 1960s, though avoiding his big bits. The result is Garfunkel's most cohesive solo album. (The original version of Watermark, on test pressings and only a very few commercial copies, was available briefly in October 1977. The revised version, containing "[What A] Wonderful World," was released in January 1978.)


William Ruhlmann



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steinau an der Straße 8/8

Most Vermicelli Rice Noodles Not Rice at all

Setbacks

War Frenzy 1/3